A thought-provoking post from Don Massenzio. IMHO I don’t think it matters how old you are when you start writing. I think the older you are, the more experiences you’ve had to write about.
When I jumped into the indie author scene, it was a calculated risk. Like I do with a lot of decisions, I looked at the pros and cons.
- There are a number of platforms that are easy to publish your work on for little or no cost (Amazon, Nook, Smashwords, etc.).
- The royalties for sales are pretty decent. If you price a book on Amazon over $2.99, for instance, you will get 70% of what you sell.
- You can write at your own pace in whatever style you want.
- You can directly interact with your readers through many vehicles (blogs, mailing, lists, social media, author signing events).
- There is a fairly organized community of independent authors and you can learn from others and help others that are just getting started.
- My writing would be judged directly by the readers and not some low-on-the-totem-pole publishing house employee looking for the…
View original post 578 more words